Best Handheld Breathalyzers for Personal Use
In this day in age it’s safe to say that most of age adults have had a drink at one time or another. Whether you are enjoying happy hour with friends after work, attending a corporate conference, or maybe hosting a birthday or holiday party, it only takes one drink to alter the blood-alcohol ratio in your body putting you at risk of obtaining a costly, not to mention potentially dangerous DUI.
Unlike regular foods, alcohol is not simply absorbed into our major digestive organs. Because alcohol is fairly poisonous in nature, your liver works to break it down into ethanol. Although your liver works eliminate alcohol from your system as quickly as possible, it can only handle about 30ml of alcohol each hour. This is equivalent to a single pint of the average beer. However, most people drink at a faster rate and experience what is known as a state of drunkenness.
What is BAC?
The measurable amount of alcohol contained in your blood versus the alcohol being processed by your kidneys and your liver is known as your blood alcohol content level. This measurement is converted to a percentage such as 0.02%, 0.08% and so forth. For example, 0.10% represents that 1/10th a percent of a person’s blood is alcohol. This number happened to be the legal limit until 1993, when the blood alcohol driving limit was lowered to .08%.
Nearly every U.S. state has a standard 0.08% blood alcohol content, or BAC in place for all those who operate a vehicle. Driving under the influence can have consequences that are truly life changing, from injury, death, arrest, and even legal cases and high insurance premiums that can follow you around for years. For many drivers, a personal breath analyzer – commonly known as a breathalyzer – can increase your personal accountability and safety measures out on the road.
In order to stay on the good side of the law and avoid DUI or even jail time, you need the best personal breathalyzer that is going to check the levels of your BAC in real-time. The right handheld breathalyzer could easily end up saving your own, or someone else’s life.
Features of the best personal-use breathalyzer
Breathalyzers have never been more popular than they are today. In fact, personal breathalyzers have become a “must have” device for consumers with a heightened sense of self-awareness. We know that it’s the right thing to do, but finding a device we can trust with accurate, real-time, information can be a challenge.
The right breathalyzer can accurately measure your BAC in a more affordable and convenient manner than ever before, giving you the knowledge you need to make more informed decisions.
Here’s a few features that are a must-have in your personal handheld breathalyzer device:
- Accuracy is the number one factor to consider when making a personal breathalyzer purchase. If you can, consider a fuel cell (preferred) or semiconductor (secondary) Sensor Type for the most accurate readings
- Every personal breathalyzer should meet the standards of a FDA 510(k) cleared device, meaning that the device has been presumed safe and effective for consumer uses.
- Another essential factor for accurate readings is breath sample collection. Look for an affixed mouthpiece and other components that exclude external air and contaminates during breath samples
- Last but not least, you should undergo careful consideration of the brand of breathalyzer you are buying. The device manufacturer should be reputable surrounding the business of breathalyzers and hold endorsements of an accurate and quality product.
|BACtrack S80 Professional Series Breathalyzer||$$||4.0/5|
|MrLi Alcohol Detector||$$||4.1/5|
|AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer||$$$||4.1/5|
|BACtrack S80 Professional Breathalyzer||$$$||4.0/5|
|Professional Digital Breathalyzer, Portable Breath Alcohol Tester||$||4.2/5|
|AlcoMate REVO Police Caliber Breathalyzer||$$$||4.4/5|
|Alcohol Breathalyzer Tester Professional Digita Breath||$||4.4/5|
|VICTONY Professional Alcohol Breathalyzer Portable Breath Alcohol Tester||$$||4.9/5|
The Best Handheld Breathalyzer Reviews
In order to provide you with the most relevant and accurate information on your breathalyzer purchase, we took the liberty to review some of the best handheld personal breathalyzers available on the market today. Read these short reviews to help you find product that best fits your needs.
BACtrack S80 Professional Series Breathalyzer
When it comes to finding an accurate, quality, and modern breathalyzer product, there is perhaps none more standard and reliable than the BACtrack S80 Pro.
As a global leader in breathalyzer technology BACtrack devices provide precise and consistent results for thousands of tests before requiring calibration in a totally easy-to-use and streamlined design.
Although this device is a bit larger than your typically “pocket” device, high-rated fuel sensors employ a police-grade standard you can trust for professional results every time.
- Police-grade technology for accurate and specific test results every time
- Simple one-touch operation and user-defined BAC thresholds
- Reliable mouthpiece to ensure efficient and accurate breath capture for testing
- DOT/NHTSA/FDA 510(k) tested and compliant
- Bright, easy-to-read LCD display
- Six additional mouth pieces for sanitary testing of friends and family
- 30-day customer satisfaction guarantee and 1-year warranty
- BACtrack S80 Professional Series implements personally engineered Xtend fuel cell sensor technology – a systematic standard in police-grade breathalyzer roadside tests
- The BACtrack S80 is simple to use with an easy one-button operation. Results are clearly displayed within 3 seconds on an easy-to-read, bright LCD screen
- The BACtrack S80 has user-defined measurement units up the thousandth decimal for a close-match accuracy
- The BACtrack S80 was specially designed to meet and exceed demanding law enforcement standards, expert alcohol screeners, and health treatment profiles
- BACtrack S80 technology has been endorsed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the U.S. Department of Transportation, and cleared by the FDA as an approved BAC alcohol-screening device for personal use
- BACtrack provides 6 additional mouthpieces for sanitary use for all of your relatives and friends to ensure safe-driving of groups
- BACtrack products stand by their customer satisfaction guarantee by offering a full one-year warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee
- Recalibration requirements once a year
- Bulkier than other handheld portables
- Price is on the higher end of the spectrum
If you are looking for an accurate, yet affordable, breath analysis solution, the VicTsing Breathalyzer may very well be the right choice for you. Sensitive semi-conductor technology provides reliable and accurate testing results within minutes.
This compact and portable breathalyzer solution comes with 20 extra mouthpieces for quick and convenient testing on the go.
- Sensitive semi-conductor sensor technology for more precise results.
- Bright back-lit LCD screen for easy use at night
- Long battery life and auto-sleep mode for power savings
- Automatic alarm function when BAC exceeds specific amounts
- Compact and lightweight design for easy portability
- 20 additional mouthpieces
- Affordable breathalyzer solution
- 45-day money back guarantee and 12-month warranty
- VicTsing Breathalyzer provides accurate test results with sensitive semi-conductor technology after 20 minutes of drinking
- Bright blue back-lit digital LCD screen provides clear and visible use at night, along with 20 extra mouthpieces for convenient and clean testing
- Powered by 3 AAA batteries, the VicTsing breathalyzer features an auto-sleep mode that shuts off after 5 seconds of non-use for a longer battery life up to 200 tests
- VicTsing smart MCU design issues an automatic warning for BAC levels that exceed 0.05% BAC. This can also be used as an effective mechanism for mothers to ensure they are safe to breastfeed
- VicTsing boasts a lightweight a portable design, with a convenient pocket-sized fit to take with you everywhere you go
- Attractive and affordable prices for those looking for a cheaper BAC breath analysis solution across several different platforms
- Must wait 20 minutes after first drink for most accurate results and 3-minutes between each test
- Results are not guaranteed around environments that hold pesticides, paints, corrosive gas, and alcohol in the air
- Cannot compute results over a 0.20% BAC level
MrLi Alcohol Detector
The MrLi Alcohol Detector delivers police-grade accurate results for use in a variety of professional settings, including business employment and treatment centers. It’s portable design and reliability makes it the perfect choice mid-range solution for professional and personal alcohol sensing and testing applications.
Compact design and adjustable warning levels make this product a favorite among consumers.
- Professional air flue design and advanced semiconductor alcohol sensors for highly accurate reporting
- Effective breath capture mechanisms and mini-solenoid breath pumping system
- User-adjustable warning levels
- One-button operation provides easy testing in just seconds
- Portable design comes with 5 extra mouthpieces
- Sensor faulty self-checking system and auto-calibration
- 18-month warranty period and satisfaction guarantee
- The MrLi Alcohol Detector is equipped with professional and advanced air flue design and semiconductor alcohol sensors for sensitive responses to the presence of ethyl alcohol
- Breath capture analysis includes internal mini-solenoid breath pump system, continuous temperature checking, and user-adjustable warning levels
- Powering the device is simple with a one-button design, which can render results in just seconds
- The device is compact and portable, comes with 5 mouthpieces for sanitary testing among friends and family
- The MrLi Alcohol Detector offers a customer satisfaction guarantee and 18-month warranty period on fault devices
- Some users suggest that the material is too lightweight, and can damage easily without proper storage or care
- Some inaccurate results in back-to-back testing
Avoid drunk driving charges with this state-of-the-art breathalyzer fuel cell sensory solution. This product was crafted with quality and craftsmanship in mind from its internal components to its laser engraved design, truly setting itself apart form other breath analysis solutions on the market.
Recently, the MARS Breathalyzer was also attributed high marks and endorsed under DriveStart Road Safety Analysis laboratory and road testing, in addition to other regulatory agencies.
- Police-grade fuel cell technology for the highest accuracy testing results
- NHTSA, FDA, and DOT approved
- Simple on/off operating button and hygienic mouthpiece
- Pocket-sized protective carry pouch for easy transportation
- Error sensing and flow check technology
- 6 mouthpieces
- High-tech fuel cell platinum sensor for superb, police-grade accuracy in 30 seconds or less
- Tested and approved by the FDA, NHTSA and the Department of Transport as a choice breath analysis screening device. Rated number one fuel cell breathalyzer by DriveStart, mirroring results by standardized police equipment
- Personal use design with high BAC sensitivity and Department of Transport grade accuracy. Can also be used by workforce personnel. Easy to read digital display
- Protective carry pouch, laser engraved design, 6 individually wrapped mouthpieces supplied with purchases. Compact and lightweight design fits snugly in pocket or purse
Pricier than other breath analysis solutions
AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer
The AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer introduces a modernized Pre-calibrated Replaceable Sensor Module technology to ensure long-term accuracy and remove the need for ship-in calibrations.
This all-new pending-patent design provides modern design with professional accuracy in an easy-to-use, convenient alcohol tester with more power in the hands of the user.
This device is suitable for law enforcement and professionals alike, in addition to consumers looking for a top-notch breathalyzer. When it comes to money and time AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer manages to save on both with the newest breathalyzer technology available on the market today.
- Cutting edge patent-pending PRISM technology
- High-grade and accurate testing efficiency
- Advanced fuel-cell sensor
- Constructed with the most rigorous standards of accuracy and durability
- User-controlled calibration eliminates the need for mail-in
- Compact and sleep design
- Lawn enforcement and DOT approved for accuracy
- Cleared by the US Coast Guard, single-sourced brand for the US Navy
- Pending-patent for innovation Pre-calibrated Replaceable Intelligent Sensor Module technology
- Removes the need to cumbersome mail-in calibration and service center visits. Put calibration in the hands of the users
- Accuracy of +/- 0.005 at 0.100%BAC
- Advanced fuel-cell sensor police-grade technology for sensitive and accurate BAC reports
- Bright, easy-to-read 4-digit LED display
- Automatic shut-off after use to preserve energy and battery life
While the device is estimated to reach over 200 tests before needing a two-AA battery replacement, we would have hoped for a longer battery life in such a robust and advanced solution.
While every person’s personal preferences and tastes are inherently unique, the very best personal-use breathalyzers should contain a fuel cell sensor type, FDA 5109(k) clearance, an advanced breath sample collection, and a strong brand reputation. These measures work together in good faith to provide the most precise and accurate testing results, free of outside contamination.
Remember, in most cases you are using your breathalyzer device to tell you if you are in a good state to operate a vehicle. With your life at stake, in addition to others on the road, you can’t afford to let accuracy slip.
Based on our analysis above, the AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer measures considerably well in these 4 categories. Not only does this BAC breath analysis solution offer the desired fuel cell sensor type used by law enforcement to render sensitive and accurate readings, but they also introduce an innovative and new technology that the industry has never seen before. Their advanced PRISM technology completely takes away from the cumbersome calibration steps other devices require. We feel like this provides ease of customer use, an essential factor to consider in a proprietary breathalyzer solution.
With advancements such as these, we’re not at all surprised that the AlcoMate Premium is the number one choice of breathalyzer among military branches such as U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Navy. While there technology certainly is impressive all on its own, it’s a little difficult to argue with a reputation like this.
Besides an impressive brand reputation and endorsement list, this technology is completely accessible by the public. The device is reasonably priced and wasn’t even the most expensive technology on our list. If you are looking for the most value for your money the AlcoMate Premium AL7000 Professional Breathalyzer is definitely your best bet.
If the AlcoMate Premium is a little out of your price range at the moment, or maybe it seems a little more robust than you are searching for, the VicTsing Breathalyzer is a great choice to get in and test the waters.
VicTsing’s sensitive semi-conductor sensor technology still renders results that are close-to-accurate. It’s small, lightweight, and easy to take around with you on a night out with friends. It also has a built-in alarm function to advise you when you are over a safe driving limit. The device comes with a plethora of mouthpieces for easy hygienic sharing of your device with friends on a night on the town along with a bright backlit LCD screen. It’s long battery life can last up to 200-uses (the same as AlcoMate Premium).
Additionally, VicTsing offers a 45-day money back guarantee and a 12-month warranty, so you can always try out the device risk free. Just keep in mind, semiconductor models may not be as accurate as fuel cell systems, so be sure to account for the manufacture’s margin of error before you decide you are okay to get behind the wheel.